So despite my best efforts to make spring happen early… well winter has returned, and along with it so has the rain!
Because mock-exams are over I had today off, and thought, what better to do than to bake chocolate chip biscuits? Perfect treat for a rainy day! 🙂
So here we are! 🙂
For these biscuits I adapted a recipe from the Chelsea Sugar website. I like to use this website because it references ingredients I can get in New Zealand, whereas a lot of online recipes ask for ingredients we don’t stock 🙂 Plus, I don’t think I’ve ever had a recipe I didn’t like from them 🙂 Even if you don’t live in New Zealand (I think only one of you actually does 😉 ) I don’t see why this recipe would contain ingredients you wouldn’t have access to 🙂
- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chunks/chips
Alternatively you can you use 1 cup of brown sugar instead of half brown half white sugar – I personally prefer the flavour of brown sugar to white sugar so this is what I do
Also, I generally don’t follow the suggested amount for chocolate chunks as sometimes they can be a bit stingy! With recipes like this I’d just add as much as you think the mixture needs – I think I used about 3/4 of a packet! 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar (both if using), and vanilla until pale and creamy (it can be hard to tell when it is pale because of the brown sugar so I’d rely more on the creamy aspect 🙂 ). Then add the egg and beat until mixed.
- Sift in the flour and salt, and mix until combined before stirring in the chocolate chunks/chips.
- Roll balls of mixture (I generally make them small but it doesn’t really matter, just allow for them to grow!) and place on tray. Press down the balls lightly with a fork.
- Bake for approx. 12 minutes. (It usually takes about 12-15 minutes for me, but I always check after 7 or 10 minutes).
I’ve never had these biscuits fail me, so I would really recommend this recipe. For the original recipe click here.
I would love to hear how these turned out for you! 🙂 I love hearing your comments!! Best part of having a blog 😉
Until next time!
Lui xx 🙂