Hey sweet peas!
Yesetrday I did a post on Tanya Burr’s new book Tanya’s Christmas, and one of the recipes (that I already love!) is her Ginger Bread Cupcakes recipe! I made this the other day, and I am very impressed! It was so easy to make, and the result was that they were very light, moist, and incredibly delicious! My brother described them as “they taste like gingerbread, but in a cupcake!”. I added the cream cheese icing to make it my own thing, and didn’t add the gingerbread men decorations because I didn’t have enough time haha! 🙂 Instead I dusted them with ginger powder.
Makes 12 (I reckon you could probably make more if they were smaller, I definitely had left over batter!).
- 100g butter
- 100g golden syrup
- 150g self-raising flour
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 150ml milk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat over to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan over a medium heat. When it is all combined remove from heat, and put to one side.
- Mix the fliur, ginger, sugar and baking soda together in a large bowl (if need be sift it, I found my ginger was a bit lumpy, but I didn’t need to sift). Whisk in the milk and egg. Slowly pour in the melted butter and syrup, to make a smooth batter.
- Pour or spoon (I kind of ladled it in haha!) the batter into each paper cup in the muffin tin, up to two thirds of the way up the sides. Pop in the oven to bake for 20 minutes, before transferring the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese icing I made it in a guess and check manner (I feel all you proper bakers staring at me in shock!). Tanya Burr used 300g of butter, 600g of icing sugar, and 1tsp of vanilla essence. For that recipe I would use 150g of butter, 150g of cream cheese, and a dash of vanilla essence. Mix with an egg beater (or similar) until smooth and creamy. Either use a piping bag (or similar), or simply spread the icing on. I decorated by sprinkling some ground ginger on top. 🙂
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and for the full recipe you can order Tanya’s book here.
I would love to hear if you try these cupcakes, and what you think of them! 🙂