Hello sweet peas! I am back! And very very jetlagged! 😀
I’d say that I have a love-hate relationship with flying, being that I love travelling but I can honestly say after the 30 hours of flying I just did… if I ever see the Emirates safety video again I honestly don’t know what I will do! 😉
To be honest, the flights themselves were too bad, although there was pretty bad turbulence at times (nothing like flying into Wellington though!). Also, I think it says a lot when you are about to get on a seven hour flight and you remark “oh, so just a hop, skip and jump really”. Nothing like a 14 hour flight to make you think that other flights are pretty reasonable! 😉
So these are my survival tips for flying for a ridiculously long time:
- Use the toilet! Even if you don’t have to go too bad it is a good opportunity to get up and have a walk. We were on an A380 (the biggest passenger plane in the world), and we were pretty central, so I would use the toilets at the very front or the back so that I got some walking done! By the end of the 14 hour flight there was a family who sat by the toilets who I basically felt were my second family 😉
- Sleep! I didn’t think I could sleep on a flight, but I managed sleeping an hour at a time, and I think I got around 8 hours sleep, which is better than none. My other recommendation for sleeping is that if you can’t sleep don’t watch a movie! 😀 The screen keeps you awake – put on music or something.
- Sleep masks, and comfy socks! I wore flight socks/ circulation socks because they make sure that the blood doesn’t just collect in your legs, instead it moves around your body. I’d 100% recommend them! On Emirates we got given a pack with a sleep mask, socks, and ear plugs, and a toothbrush kit! Brushing your teeth can just bring you back to normal!
- Drink lots of water, and eat! I just asked the flight attendants if I could have more water, like all the time! It is really important that you make sure you drink enough, and that if you don’t eat on the plane, buy a chocolate bar or get something to eat in transit. My group of friends went to Shake Shack in Dubai airport because we were absolutely exhausted and needed some good food! 😉
- Enjoy it! Flying can be a hassle at times, but once you sit down and have everything sorted its pretty chill! Plus you get to go somewhere cool when you finish the flight! 😀
If you have any tips please let me know because I honestly need them before I head back to New Zealand haha! 😀 I have 29 hours of flying to look forward to! 🙁 😉 You can also read my tips for short-haul flights here.
I will endeavour to post everyday but with my jetlag, and assimilating to a new culture (and language!) I will do what I can 🙂
Until next time,