Take it from someone who gets very over being in the mall very quickly: when it comes to shopping for gifts, being savvy and smart is key!
Hello all, today I thought I’d share a few things I’ve done this year to be a bit more savvy with buying gifts, given that last year I didn’t really have to bother because I could just buy things for people in Germany!
- Make a list of people to buy for. This gives you a clear cut idea of how many people you need to get presents for, and then helps you budget.
- Figure out who you can make stuff for, and who you need to buy for. The best gift I have ever given was a photo scrap book for my best friend on her 18th birthday, and hoenstly cost me no more than about $10 and half an hour to make! Although I will admit for Christmas I have bought more than made simply because it’s quicker!
- Make a budget for each gift, so that you know roughly how much you’re spending.
- Break it into sections so that you are doing a manageable amount when you go shopping. This means you might need to make more than one shopping trip.
- Take people to pick out their own gift (with a rough idea of spending allowance!!) or ask them what they actually want/need so that they appreciate the gift. Especially as I get older I have a clearer idea of what thigns I would appreciate people getting for me, mostly things I wanted to buy for myself but got it gifted to me anyway. Gift cards can be great for helping pay towards something bigger that they want (I did this for some friends going back-packing next year).
- Do a secret Santa. This way everyone in your gift gets a present but you don’t have to buy a gift for everyone. Saves money but is inclusive and fun! 🙂
Do you have any other tips? What do you do to be savvy with shopping? I’d love to know!